Masquers Playhouse proudly announces auditions for:
As You Like It
by William Shakespeare
Adapted and Directed by Rice Majors
To be performed live and onstage!
As You Like It – A fresh take on one of Shakespeare’s most beloved comedies, set in San Francisco during the 1967 Summer of Love. Adapted and directed by Rice Majors.
Audition Dates and Times: Monday, October 18 and Tuesday, October 19, 7:00-9:30pm
Callback auditions will be Wednesday, October 20 and/or Thursday, October 21 as needed.
Location: Masquers Playhouse (105 Park Place, Pt. Richmond, CA) in-person
Preparation: You may bring a prepared monologue (Shakespeare preferred). You will also be asked to read a scene from the play with other actors. Additionally, everyone will sing one verse of California Dreamin’, which will be taught at 7:00 pm for those who are unfamiliar with the song. Bring a headshot and resume and list of conflicts.
Rehearsals: Begin in November
Performances: Five-week run beginning January 21
COVID Protocols: Proof of full vaccination is required for all entering the theatre. Masks are currently required. Depending on other County Health requirements, actors and crew involved in the rehearsal process may also need to be tested weekly for COVID-19.
Roles: All roles are open and are non-pay, non-AEA. All genders, ages and ethnicities are encouraged to audition for an ensemble of 12-ish people, potentially with this breakdown:
- Rosalind – presenting as female, any race/ethnicity, age 18-30; a young woman who, after being banished from court, dresses as a man while seeking out love in the Forest of Arden
- Celia – presenting as female, any race/ethnicity, age 18-30; cousin/BFF to Rosalind who accompanies her into exile
- Phoebe – presenting as female, any race/ethnicity, any age; a proud shepherdess
- Orlando – presenting as male, any race/ethnicity, age 18-30; a young man seeking his fortune in exile in the Forest of Arden
- Silvius – presenting as male, any race/ethnicity, any age; a shepherd, in love with Phoebe
- Touchstone – any gender, any race/ethnicity, any age, singing role; a court fool/jester who accompanies Rosalind into exile
- Oliver – any gender, any race/ethnicity, age 20-45; older brother to Orlando, initially jealous and scornful of Orlando
- Amiens – any gender, any race/ethnicity, any age, singing role; a lord and musician attending Duke Senior in exile
- Corin – any gender, any race/ethnicity, any age; an elderly shepherd
- Jaques – any gender, any race/ethnicity, any age; a melancholic lord attending Duke Senior in exile
- Duke Senior – any gender, any race/ethnicity, any age; the rightful duke, now living in exile in the Forest of Arden
- Audrey – any gender, any race/ethnicity, any age, singing role; a country girl
Other roles may be cast separately or doubled with the above roles. We are especially looking for at least one person who plays guitar.
Pease contact Rice Majors (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.