Masquers Playhouse is pleased to announce auditions for its upcoming production of:
Compared to What?
by Judith Offer
directed by Norman Gee
Production Sponsor: Tura Franzen
This historically rich and accurate play is written by Oakland playwright Judith Offer. It’s West Oakland in 1926 and two Black Pullman Porters are caught between the oft-times dilemma of forming a union and the dangers of belonging to one. Progress and the world around them threatens to change their lives for ever. Success, hopes and dreams are only measured as such when compared to what? This is a charming snapshot of how our region came to be as it is.
Auditions: Please make an appointment for a 15-minute audition slot.
Initial auditions are scheduled:
- Saturday, May 14 from 11am to 3pm
- If you are not available, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule accommodations.
Auditions and callbacks will be at Masquers Playhouse – 105 Park Place, Richmond, CA 94801
Preparation: Prepare two 1-2 minute monologues and be prepared to read from sides if asked.
Callbacks: Callbacks will be coordinated if needed.
Rehearsals: Exact rehearsal schedule will be dependent on actors’ availability. Rehearsals start in early July and will typically be Sunday through Thursday evenings and some Saturday mornings. Please note that Tech Week starts August 21. Please no conflicts during tech week (August 21 – 26).
Performances: Five-week run beginning August 26 and continuing through September 24. Performances are Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights at 8 pm and Sundays at 2 pm. Please no conflicts for performances.
COVID Protocols: Proof of full vaccination is required to audition. You must remain masked when not on stage auditioning. You may unmask during your audition.
Roles: All genders, ages, ethnicities are encouraged to audition. Roles are non-pay, non-AEA. While the gender of the character is listed below and referenced in various ways in the show, anyone presenting/identifying as the character’s gender is encouraged to audition.
- WILLIE JOE JOHNSON (African American. Male. Presenting late teens) Willie is 17 and from Texas. He’s eager for a new chapter in his life.
- MARY HEANY (Female. Presenting mid 30s) Mary is an Irish-immigrant and the boarding house owner that Willie and the Porters use. Irish dialect required.
- VIRGIL STROTHER (African American. Male. Presenting early 50s) A Pullman Porter that frequents the Heany boarding house
- SEAMUS GIBSON (African American. Male. Presenting 40s) Another Pullman Porter that frequents the Heany boarding house
- HETTY TOOKER (African American. Female. Presenting 40s). The wealthy wife of a pharmacist and club woman.
- ARCHIBALD SNODDY (Male. Age flexible.) Irish-American. He is the superintendent of the Oakland Porters.
- FIFTH BUSINESS One actor, male or female, to play Pullman passengers and associates of Snoddy.
Script: Since this is an original work, we’ve made the script available for your perusal. Click here to view/read.
Stipend Available: Actors are volunteers but will receive a small stipend to defray transportation costs.
Questions: Please submit any questions to Norman Gee at email@example.com
Online AUDITION APPOINTMENT Form
To audition, complete the online form below and select your appointment. If you experience any problems with this form, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.