Masquers Playhouse is pleased to announce auditions for its upcoming production of:
You On the Moors Now
By Jacklyn Backhaus
Directed by Angelina LaBarre
A meta-theatrical take on the characters from 19th century classics such as Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Little Women, and Pride and Prejudice and how they throw off conventionalism and gender norms. Our familiar heroines throw off their suitors and pursue their dreams camped out on the Bronte sisters’ moors. This landscape is unmoored (get it?) from time and space and fourth walls, and becomes a battleground filled with spies, dance offs, and anachronism abound.
- Monday, December 12th from 6 to 9 pm
- Tuesday, December 13th from 6 to 9 pm
Please make an appointment for an audition slot by choosing an audition time on You On the Moors Now Auditions. You only need to attend one day.
Preparation: Please bring a headshot and resume if you have them, and a list of all known conflicts. Actors will be asked to read from sides. Actors should be dressed in clothes they feel comfortable moving in. No movement experience necessary.
Callbacks: Callbacks will be on Sunday, December 18th.
Rehearsals: Rehearsals will begin in mid-January with a week off February 19th – 25th. We will schedule around actors’ conflicts where possible.
Performances: Four week run from March 17th through April 9th, 2023. Performances are Friday and Saturday nights at 8 pm, and Sundays at 2 pm. There may be Thursday night performances at 8 pm; if so, these dates will be finalized by the first rehearsal. Please no conflicts for performances.
Roles: All genders, ages, ethnicities, body types, and abilities are encouraged to audition. Roles are non-pay, non-AEA.
Since the play is investigating gender norms of the 19th century, characters are specifically gendered. Performers need not match those genders in order to be considered.
- Elizabeth Bennet – From “Pride and Prejudice”
- Jo March – From “Little Women”
- Cathy – From “Wuthering Heights”
- Jane Eyre – From “Jane Eyre”
- Fitzwilliam Darcy – From “Pride and Prejudice”
- Laurie Laurence – From “Little Women”
- Heathcliff – From “Wuthering Heights”
- Player 1 – Plays Caroline Bingley (P&P), Amy (LW)
- Player 2 – Plays Mr. Bingley (P&P), Old Mr. Laurence from Next Door (LW)
- Player 3 – Plays Nelly Dean (WH), Beth (LW), Jane Bennet (P&P)
- Player 4 – Joseph (WH), Mrs. March (P&P)
- Player 5 – St. John Rivers (JE), Bhaer (P&P), Edgar Linton (WH)
- Player 6 – River Sister (JE), Meg (LW)
Stipend: Actors are volunteers but will receive a small stipend to defray transportation costs.
Sides: You can download and review the four sides available. Please feel free to choose which side (or two) you’d like to read at auditions.
If you choose the Male Grief Side, you’ll play two of the three characters in the scene. Please read Rochester and choose Laurie or Heathcliff to also read.
Questions: Please submit any questions to director Angelina LaBarre at email@example.com