One of the best features of Masquers is that we hold artistic decisions in community. This includes the selection of our season. Each year, from our membership, we assemble the Masquers Season Selection Committee and work curate a balanced season of five shows that include comedies, dramas, mysteries, and musicals. We find this season entirely from director submissions. Click here to see what shows have been produced at Masquers previously. Directors, now is the time to submit your passion project for consideration for Masquers Playhouse’s 2023 Season. From your submissions, we pick our five main productions.
Here’s how our unique process works:
The Season Selection Process:
1) Directors interested in producing shows at Masquers Playhouse in 2023 must prepare and submit an application using the online form below. In addition to the required information regarding the director’s experience and the productions being proposed, a PDF copy of all scripts and media files of cast recordings(for musical selections) are required. If you need assistance with preparing these items, you may reach out to managing director, Michael Sally for assistance (email@example.com or 510-232-3888 ext. 0).
Applications and required files are due by 11:59pm Saturday, April 30.
2) Once applications are received, they will be reviewed by our Theater Administrative Staff (TAS). All submitted scripts will be read and applications reviewed by the Masquers Season Selection Committee.
3) Submitting directors are strongly encouraged to attend one of our Open House events (virtually or in-person) to learn about what producing shows as Masquers entails. Get a chance to walk the space, learn how we budget for our shows, ask technical questions about the theater and resources, and pick the brains of our theater staff. The in-person Open House will conclude with a tour of our costume warehouse and scene shop. The Open House helps you prepare your presentation to the selection committee during the interview stage. The In-Person Open House is scheduled for Saturday, April 23 at 12noon (at Masquers 105 Park Place, Richmond, CA 94801). The Virtual Open House is scheduled for May 7 at 5pm (via Zoom).
4) Finally, directors will be invited to attend in-person interviews with the Masquers Season Selection Committee on June 11 between 10am and 5pm. During the interview, you will share your vision for the production, discuss particular aspects of the production and technical requirements, and answer any questions from the selection committee. Interviews will be at Masquers (105 Park Place, Richmond, CA 94801). You must be available to interview on June 11. If you cannot attend interviews, your submission will not be considered.
Director interviews are Saturday, June 11 between 10am and 5pm.
4) At the conclusion of director interviews, the Season Selection Committee will vote to determine a balanced season of five shows from all the ones submitted. Directors are usually notified within a week.
Submission Considerations and Guidelines:
- Masquers seeks directors and works that reflect and tell stories from under-represented communities. Diverse stories and creatives are strongly encouraged.
- Directors must submit a PDF of the script and media files of cast recordings (for musicals).
- Please be aware that contractual agreements with publishing companies forbid changes to published scripts. Please do not submit scripts that you have personally edited or changed.
- Directors should familiarize themselves with which company or entity holds production rights for the play or musical being submitted. This information is required in the application and may require some advance preparation.
- Each director is limited to submitting no more than TWO plays or musicals.We strongly suggest that if you want to submit TWO shows, you choose contrasting pieces to better your chances.
- The Masquers stage is approximately 20′ x 20′. We do not have fly space and back /offstage area is limited. Complex and large sets are difficult in our space. If you submit a show with a complex or large set, please be prepared to share your vision for making it work in our space and within our budget. Click here to view the stage floor plan.
- To keep the budget reasonable, we respectfully request that directors submit plays or musicals that can leverage the wealth of costumes, props, set pieces, and other resources at the Masquers Warehouse.
- During your in-person interview, Season Selection Committee members will ask questions about your desired design/production team. While Masquers offers a wealth of designers and technical resources, we encourage potential directors to research options for non-Masquers designers and technicians. We love bringing new talent and perspectives into our Masquers family!
- Finally, being selected to direct at Masquers is not an offer of employment. Directors are volunteers and receive $500 to help offset inconveniences with travel and time needed for the production.
To chat further about a production you’re considering, reach out to Michael Sally, Managing Director. firstname.lastname@example.org or 510-232-3888 ext. 0.