To quote the Music Man, Masquers Playhouse members are agog, simply agog at the prospect of returning to full operations. The playhouse will be repaired this year, and we are planning for a full 2021 season.
Just like previous years, the Masquers Season Selection Committee seeks to curate a balanced season of five shows that include comedies, dramas, mysteries, and musicals. Click here to see what shows have been produced at Masquers previously.
Directors, now is the time to submit your passion project for consideration for Masquers Playhouse’s 2021 Season. Masquers Playhouse will be back in full production mode, with five main season productions. We will revitalize live theater in Richmond and the greater Bay Area—and we want you to be part of it.
Here’s how our unique process works:
The Season Selection Process:
1) Directors interested in producing shows at Masquers Playhouse in 2021 must prepare and submit their application using this online form. In addition to required information regarding the director’s experience and the productions being proposed, a PDF copy of all scripts and media files of cast recordings(for musical selections) are required. If you need assistance with preparing these items, you may reach out to managing director, Carl Smith for assistance (firstname.lastname@example.org or 510-232-3888 ext. 0).
Applications and required files are due by 11:59pm Sunday, May 10.
2) Once applications are received, they will be reviewed by our Theater Administrative Staff (TAS). All submitted scripts will be read and applications reviewed by the Masquers Season Selection Committee.
3) Directors will be invited to attend in-person interviews with the Masquers Season Selection Committee. During the interview, you will share your vision for the production, discuss particular aspects of the production and technical requirements, and answer any questions the selection committee may ask.Interviews will be in Pt. Richmond (hopefully at the theater). The exact location and appointment time will be confirmed in early June.
Director interviews are Saturday, June 27 between 10am and 5pm.
4) At the conclusion of director interviews, the Season Selection Committee will vote to determine a balanced season of five shows from all the ones submitted. Directors are usually notified within a week.
Submission Considerations and Guidelines:
- Directors must submit a PDF of the script and media files of cast recordings (for musicals).
- Please be aware that contractual agreements with publishing companies forbid changes to published scripts. Please do not submit scripts that you have personally edited or changed.
- Directors should familiarize themselves with which company or entity holds production rights for the play or musical being submitted. This information is required in the application and may require some advance preparation.
- Each director is limited to submitting no more than TWO plays or musicals.
- The Masquers stage is approximately 20′ x 20′. We do not have fly space and back and offstage area is limited. Complex and large sets are difficult in our space. If you submit a show with a complex or large set, please be prepared to share your vision for making it work in our space and within our budget. Click here to view the stage floor plan.
- To keep the budget reasonable, we respectfully request that directors submit plays or musicals that can leverage the wealth of costumes, props, set pieces, and other resources at the Masquers Warehouse.
- During your in-person interview, Season Selection Committee members will ask questions about your desired design/production team. While Masquers offers a wealth of designers and technical resources, we encourage potential directors to research options for non-Masquers designers and technicians. We love bringing new talent and perspectives into our Masquers family!
- Finally, being selected to direct at Masquers is not an offer of employment. Directors are volunteers and receive $500 to help offset inconveniences with travel and time needed for the production.
To chat further about a production you’re considering, reach out to Carl Smith,Managing Director. email@example.com or 510-232-3888 ext. 0.