One of the best features of Masquers Playhouse is that we hold artistic decisions in community, including the selection of our season. Each year, from our membership, we assemble the Masquers Season Selection Committee and work to curate a balanced, entertaining season of five shows that includes comedies, dramas, mysteries, and musicals (both adult and children), with an emphasis on diversity. The season is selected entirely from director submissions. Click here to see what shows have been produced at Masquers previously.
Directors, now is the time to submit your passion project for consideration for Masquers Playhouse’s 2025 Season. From your submissions, we pick our five main productions.
Here’s how our unique process works:
The Season Selection Process:
1) Directors interested in producing shows at Masquers Playhouse in 2025 must prepare and submit an application using the online form below. In addition to the required information regarding the director’s experience and the productions being proposed, a PDF copy of all scripts and media files of cast recordings (for musical selections) are required. If you need assistance with preparing these items, you may reach out to our Managing Director, Michael Sally for assistance email@example.com or 510-232-3888 ext. 0).
Application submissions are open from March 20th thru April 30th 2024!
2) Once applications are received, they are reviewed by our Theater Administrative Staff (TAS). All submitted scripts are then read and applications are reviewed by the Masquers Season Selection Committee.
3) Submitting directors are strongly encouraged to attend one of our Open House events (in-person or via Zoom) to learn about what producing shows at Masquers entails. Get a chance to walk the space, learn how we budget for our shows, ask technical questions about the theater and resources, and pick the brains of our theater staff. The Open House concludes with a tour of our costume warehouse and scene shop. The Open House helps you prepare for your presentation to the selection committee during the interview stage. The In-Person Open House date is to be announced soon. Tentatively, we hope to also offer a Virtual Open House (via Zoom)!.
Director interviews are tentatively scheduled for June 9th.
4) At the conclusion of director interviews, the Season Selection Committee votes to determine a balanced, entertaining season of five shows from all those submitted. Directors are usually notified within a week.
Submission Considerations and Guidelines:
- Masquers seeks directors and works that reflect and tell stories from under-represented communities. Diverse stories and creatives are strongly encouraged.
- Directors must submit a PDF of the script and media files of cast recordings (for musicals).
- Please be aware that contractual agreements with publishing companies forbid changes to published scripts. Do not submit scripts that you have personally edited or changed.
- Directors should familiarize themselves with which company or entity holds production rights for the submitted play or musical. This information is required in the application and may require some advance preparation.
- Each director is limited to submitting no more than TWO plays or musicals. We strongly suggest that if you want to submit TWO shows, you choose contrasting pieces to better your chances.
- The Masquers stage is approximately 20′ x 20′. We do not have fly space and the back /offstage area is limited. Complex and large sets are difficult in our space. If you submit a show with a complex or large set, please be prepared to share your vision for making it work in our space and within our budget. Click here to view the stage floor plan.
- To keep the budget reasonable, we respectfully request that directors submit plays or musicals that can leverage the wealth of costumes, props, set pieces, and other resources at the Masquers Warehouse.
- During your in-person interview, Season Selection Committee members ask questions about your desired design/production team. While Masquers offers a wealth of designers and technical resources, we encourage potential directors to research options for designers and technicians who have not worked at Masquers before. We love bringing new talent and perspectives into our Masquers family!
- Finally, being selected to direct at Masquers is not an offer of employment. Directors are volunteers and receive $500 to help offset inconveniences with travel and time needed for the production.
To chat further about a production you’re considering, reach out to Michael Sally, Managing Director. firstname.lastname@example.org or 510-232-3888 ext. 0.