Summer CAMP TRACKS RUN JULY 5 – July 24, 2022
Stage One education programs empower youth for the stage. For students in Grades Rising K – 8th.
- Camps Tracks are subject to change
- Grade levels are your child(ren)’s RISING grade – the grade they will start in August 2022
- Due to space and staffing limitations, no before or aftercare is available. Please drop off and pick up on time.
- All Camp Tracks include an invited FINAL SHARE for families. Some require tickets. Please see the individual Camp Track description (or check with the teacher) for more information.
- All students (if eligible) must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination to participate. Masking requirements will be decided and announced at a later date.
CAMP TRACKS & Schedule
- Fun with Improv (4 days) with Ms. Jacquie
- Learn how to create comedic characters and skits and think on your feet through improv. No scripts, no memorization, just jump in and have fun!
- Meets Tuesday, July 5 through Friday, July 8 from 9 am to 12 pm. For students entering 4th grade through 8th grade.
- Parents/Guardians are invited to the FINAL SHARE on Friday, July 8 at 11:30 pm.
- Character Creation 101 (4 days) with Mr. Henry
- What’s it like to truly get inside the mind of your character? Explore the answer to that question in this week-long workshop, where students will create their very own characters for the stage, assign them backstories and motives, and write original scenes involving them. Along the way, we’ll explore improvisation, pantomime, and other acting techniques. At the end of the week, students watch their creations come to life!
- Meets Tuesday, July 5 through Friday, July 8 from 1 pm to 4 pm. For students entering 2nd grade through 5th grade.
- Parents/Guardians are invited to the FINAL SHARE on Friday, July 8 at 3:30 pm.
- My First Theater Experience for Littles (5 days) with Ms. Gena
- We create a fun and magical play space for our newest and youngest performers to discover the whimsy and joy of theater. Through interactive storytelling, dress-up, art, and creative play, students learn the basics of theater and learn to fall in love with performing on stage.
- Meets Monday, July 11 through Friday, July 15 from 9 am to 12 pm. For students entering Kindergarten through 2nd grade.
- Parents/Guardians are invited to the FINAL SHARE on Friday, July 15 at 11:30 am.
- Shakespeare for Youth (5 days) with Ms. Jacquie
- You don’t need to fear Shakespeare. Learn how to speak, understand and perform Shakespeare in a playful way through theater games and scene work.
- Meets Monday, July 11 through Friday, July 15 from 1 pm to 4 pm. For students entering 4th through 8th grade.
- Parents/Guardians are invited to the FINAL SHARE on Friday, July 15 at 3:30 pm.
- Clowning and Improv (5 days) with Mr. Henry
- Clowning and improv go hand in hand, and bringing them together helps our young performers learn to find humor and audience engagement through both physical performance and thinking quickly on their feet. Students will explore basic clowning fundamentals through improv and theater games with lots of laughs along the way.
- Meets Monday, July 18 through Friday, July 22 from 1 pm to 4 pm. For students entering 2nd through 5th grade.
- Parents/Guardians are invited to the FINAL SHARE on Friday, July 22 at 3:30 pm
- Stage Movement & Combat (5 days) with Ms. Jacquie
- The way actors move on stage helps tell the story. Come explore stage movement through dance, stage combat, and theater games.
- Meets Monday, July 18 through Friday, July 22 from 9 am to 12 pm. For students entering 4th through 8th grade.
- Parents/Guardians are invited to the FINAL SHARE on Friday, July 22 at 11:30 am.
- Hip-Hop Dance (meets three consecutive Saturdays) with Ms. Gena
- Using fun pop music and designed for students of all ages and abilities, this class will teach the basic and fundamental movements of contemporary hip-hop focusing on rhythm, technique, and precision.
- Meets Saturday, July 9, Saturday, July 16, and Saturday, July 23 from 9 am to 12 pm. For students entering 1st through 6th grades.
- Parents/Guardians are invited to the FINAL PERFORMANCE on Saturday, July 23 at 11:30 am.
- Let’s Put on a Show – Full Production of original student scripts. (Meets all three weeks with two performances on the last day)
- Students will work together to stage and perform original scripts from students in Richmond. The three-week camp with culminate with two final performances!
- Meets weekdays, Tuesday, July 5 through Friday, July 22 from 5 pm to 6:30 pm. For students entering 2nd through 5th grade.
- Final performances are ticketed events. Two performances on Friday, July 22 – 7pm and 8:30 pm. The performance will be about 40 minutes. Tickets are $5. Limit of 85 tickets available for each performance.
MEET OUR TEACHING ARTISTS
All camp tracks are located at Masquers Playhouse – 105 Park Place, Richmond, CA 94801. Students will use the lobby, restrooms, and stage at the Playhouse as well as our small backyard and the small parklet directly across the street.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you offer before or aftercare? Due to our limited space and even more limited staffing, we cannot offer before or aftercare. Please make arrangements to drop off and pick up on time. Drop off no more than 15 minutes before the start of the camp track. Pick up no later than 20 minutes after the end of the camp track.
Will there be a performance? Due to the limited timeframe, our five-day camps focus on building transferrable and empowering performance skills through rich theater experiences over final performances. But, we do want to share with our families what we’ve learned and experienced. So, each five-day camp saves the last hour for families to come and experience camp exercises and activities. Our three-week production camp track and three-Saturday Hip Hop Dance camp track do end with a final performance.
How do I get tickets for the show for the three-week production camp track and three-Saturday Hip Hop Dance camp track? Beginning July 1st, tickets for these performances will be available at www.Masquers.org/tickets. Tickets are $10. Both the three-week production camp track and the three-Saturday Hip Hop Dance camp track have two final performances, so only 170 tickets are available.
Do students need to be vaccinated and/or wear masks if participating in the program? Vaccinations – Yes. All students that are eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine (currently 5 and up) will be required to be fully vaccinated in order to register and attend. Full vaccination is defined as completion of the two-dose regimen at least two weeks prior to the start of the program.
How many students and teachers will be in each camp track? Camp tracks can have between eight and 14 students. The Hip Hop Dance track can have up to 20. Each camp track has one teaching artist.
What is your refund and cancellation policy? If participants cancel at least two weeks (14 days) days prior to the start of that camp track, they may receive a full refund or credit. Those canceling less than two weeks or 14 days prior to the start of each camp track will receive a credit for a future Stage One Camp Or a refund minus a 20% late cancellation fee. When canceling, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the student’s name, the camp track they are canceling, and the reason for the cancellation. No refunds or credits once a camp track has started. No refunds or credits will be honored based on casting in any Stage-One-related performance.
My child is going to be late/absent from camp. Who should I contact? Please call 510-232-3888 and select extension zero to leave a message for the camp administrators. You may also email email@example.com.
What does my child need to bring to camp? Your child should come to camp every day with a water bottle, a snack, and a refillable water bottle. Also, your child should wear close-toed shoes.